The Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), Prof Itse Sagay in an interview with The Nation, has said the senators should be ones apologising to him as he has become a “bit thick-skinned”.
- Sagay had made public a comparison of the annual salary of a Nigerian Senator, the allowances and that of a U.S. President, which saw a large margin.
- The Senators had asked President Buhari to call Sagay to order as he was only saying nonsense – however, not addressing the issue.
- In a swift response, Sagay says he won’t stop speaking the truth. He also stated that the Senators do not have honour or vision for Nigeria.
- Sagay says he only mentioned what Senators take home, not what the minority leader, majority leader, deputy Senate president and Senate president get as extras – which runs into hundreds of millions
- He says they did not deny that the National Assembly gulps 25 percent of the National budget and so, they should publicly accept that they milk Nigeria of resources that should be going into other developmental projects.
- Sagay says he supports bi-cameral legislature adding that we must make it part time, as we had in the First Republic. They would legislate for two months, and then everybody would go back. To save this country from this tremendous cost that is bending our back, we need to turn the National Assembly into part-time operation.
Omoleye Omoruyi… an apprentice web/game developer, novelist, sensitive to happenings in the world. Meet him @Lord_rickie on Twitter/Instagram