Sad: Family of 4, pregnant woman electrocuted in Lagos

by Zara Mustapha

Power-Pole-360x240

A fallen high tension wire electrocuted six people in cluding 3 children and a pregnant woman  in Oworonshoki area of Lagos in the early hours of today while it was raining.

It was gathered that the high tension wire cut into two as a result of the heavy rain.

According to the General Secretary, Council of Oworonshoki Youth Forum,  Kabiawu Babajide, the high tension wire cut and fell across a drainage channel and caught fire when it came in contact with wood, adding that two vehicles parked beside the wood were burnt by the fire ignited by the wood.

PM News reports:

The incident occurred in front of houses on number 6 to 10 on the street. While the fire that burnt the vehicles was raging, residents raise the alarm for others to escape from the scene.

The victims who were electrocuted did not know what was happening when they ran out of their houses ran in a bid to escape and stepped on the naked wire.

Others who were injured were rushed to the hospital.

According to Babajide, “people ran away from their houses in different directions and stepped on the high tension wire and they were immediately electrocuted. It was about 30 minutes later that electricity supply was cut off after the tragedy had occurred.”

He said among the six people who died were a woman with her three children and another pregnant woman with a child.

Anothee eye witness, Ladi Joshua said he was few metres away from the scene where the high tension wire cut into two.

He said when the wire fell on a wooden material and caught fire, he called the fire service to the scene but that before they came, the damage had been done.

He also said six people were electrocuted, while those injured were taken to the hospital.

Another drama played out at the scene as the husband of the woman said to have lost his wife and three children drank poison and had been rushed to Afolabi Hospital in the area.

Joshua gave the names of those that died as Iya Fatima, who died with her child and  Iya Jonathan, who was pregnant and died with her children, adding that another boy, called Basit was also electrocuted.

According to him, the deceased were taken to the mortuary of a hospital in Yaba as they were rejected at the Gbagada General Hospital.

General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, when contacted said he was aware of the incident but that they were still investigating and would get back to us.

Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe told P.M.NEWS that the high tension cable fell on a car loaded with Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, which caused the fire outbreak which eventually claimed five lives.

He said those who died included two female, including a pregnant woman and three teenagers, saying that the fire was prevented from spreading to nearby buildings.

Comments (2)

  1. Sad news indeed, baba GOD grant the departed souls peace in ur son's name amen

  2. Really sad news, may there soul rest in piece in jesus name – AMEN

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail