by Adeola Balogun
The Future Awards Africa 2013 took place yesterday in Port Harcourt, Rivers State with Governor Rotimi Amaechi serving as the chief host. The event had honourees from all over the country and Africa’s youngest billionaire, Ashish Thakkar as one of the winners of the prestigious awards.
In his usual no-holds-barred manner, Amaechi engaged the youth present at the award ceremony casting doubts on their sincerity in steering the ship of Nigeria right if given the opportunities to right the wrong of leaders past.
According to him,young people in Nigeria just want to go and ‘chop’ in government.
Here is a list of the 10 most outrageous things he said while giving his speech:
– In a statement which sounded very Jonathan-esque, Amaechi said, “At your age I didn’t have money to buy a suit.” He went on to chide the audience at the awards for appearing gay and colourful wondering how they intend to fight leaders accused of embezzling public funds.
– “If a man tries to rape you, beat the sh_t out of him,” he said. He urged ladies to resist any man who tries to take advantage of them by not giving in to any untoward advances.
– “I had one shirt and one trouser in university; to wash on Sunday and sleep.” (The President might want to consider suing our dear governor for copyrights infringements right here. That’s his line, isn’t it.)
– “I could not chase girlfriends as a youth, no girl would date me.”
– “Youth wearing suits are not the type that will be the change Nigeria needs.” (Did we hear anyone say #GBAM? Anyone?!)
– “The office of governor in Nigeria is so comfortable that no one will want to leave.” (There you have it.)
– “My commissioners got up to line up when I came in, they don’t have work….”
– “We put poor children in rich men’s schools so that they can impregnate their daughters…”
– “…We established this policy as a way of redistributing wealth,” he says. (At least one governor has an economic love policy. Quick, vote Amaechi for… err… never mind.)
– He continues his theory saying “If love should catch you ehn? Love knows no boundaries.” (Aww, how philophical of him…)