by Rachel Ogbu
The 2013 edition of Naija Writers’ Coach Annual Essay Competition for Nigerian undergraduate students has started accepting entries.
The contest is intended to serve as a national platform for Nigerian students to express their opinions on pressing national issues, and advance workable and sustainable solutions to them.
According to a statement, the theme for this year’s competition is: “Does The Nigerian Education System Prepare Students For The Work Environment?”
The statement reads:
“It has been observed that there is increasing importance and preference attached to educational certificates in Nigeria over the acquisition of critical life skills, educational values and practical work-place know-how, and as such, many students graduate still unemployable. Students who are most affected by this trend are invited to share their views on the malady and all other issues related to it.”
The deadline for submission of essay is a minute to midnight on April 20, 2013 and winners get a cash prize of N15, 000, N10, 000 and N7, 000 for the first, second and third prize winners respectively.
Since it’s not a ‘winner takes all’ type of competition, the organisers are also offering prizes to contestants who make it into the top 10. They would receive the Naija Writers’ Companion – a collection of 3 awesome softwares and 3 eBooks on writing – worth N4,000.
The distinguished panel of judges includes; Mahfouz Adedimeji, Chairman, Editorial Board, University of Ilorin Bulletin, and Lecturer, English Department, University of Ilorin, Abimbola Adelakun, a columnist at The Punch Newspaper, and author of “Under the Brown Rusted Roofs”and Akinde Hafiz who is the Editor-in-Chief, Minbar Al-Haqq Magazine, Lagos, and award-winning writer.
- Each entry must be an essay. Poems, short stories, fictions, etc. are not acceptable.
- Each entry must be between 600 and 1,000 words.
- No co-authored work would be accepted.
- Submissions should be made online at www.NaijaWritersCoach.com/NWC-2013-essay-competition. Submissions by email would not be accepted.
- All received entries would be acknowledged by email within 24 hours of submission. If you do not receive an acknowledgement after 24 hours, please try to resend your entry.
- Each entrant must ensure that his/her essay is free from plagiarism.
- All essays received and which are publishable would be posted on the Naija Writers’ Coach blog between 21st April and 25th April, 2013.
- After the publication of the entries, voting would commence and last till 13th of May, 2013.
- On the 14th May, 2013, the 10 most popular entries (finalists) based on the number of votes received would be forwarded to the panel of judges for grading.
- On the 24th May, 2013, the 3 winners would be announced.