Just like the adage says, “the only thing constant in life is change”; so also in Nigerian politics, it is guaranteed that in any given week, insane incident(s) will occur.
This week alone, IPOB told Buhari they will kill him and kill themselves if he goes East-ward; Okorocha told Buhari to use his magic hand to make APC gubernatorial candidate Nwoye Anambra’s governor (we will refrain from commenting); a soldier killed his Captain and four other fellow soldiers, then shot himself, and nine other whistleblowers laid claim to the Ikoyi cash.
We did say insane things happened.
With each event, Political Twitter was on hand to supply commentary. Here’s a rundown by @ManiPeters.
In the past week, unbelievable but true:
1. Buhari asked Zimbabwe to respect constitution
2. Tinubu called Jonathan corrupt
3. Court halts corruption probe of IGP
— Air Raid (@OdogwuOgbete) November 17, 2017
- Oh, and Sagay, Chief commenter of all things corruption in Nigeria, thought it wise to weigh in on the little matter of the Federal Government owing the original Ikoyi whistleblower- before the other 9 showed up. Yvonne Johnson tore him apart.
2. Then because Mazi Buhari…sorry, Enyioma 1 of Ebonyi and Ochioha Ndigbo touched down in the South East for the first time in two years and counting, Mr Aye was quick to sing his praises. Thankfully, Ayo Sogunro checked him good.
We’re crushing on this re-write, Mr Sogunro.
3. In case you missed it…
Meet our new Ambassador to USA!!! pic.twitter.com/YEqnTE8hHE
— Bolanle. C Victoria🇳🇬 (@bolaNLee_c) November 16, 2017
Yes, all that white hair is his. Mr Sylvanus Nsofor is, after all, an 82-year-old man and Buhari’s only choice for the job. Recall that the Senate had refused to confirm this appointment. But Buhari wouldn’t take no for an answer. All Orji’s thinking is:
Is this person even alive??? https://t.co/mLbJYJNUBB
— bebi la hot (@Nkchnylu) November 17, 2017
4. Speaking of life and death, Tomide cannot believe the insensitivity of the government to this news. Even after Oby Ezekwesili wrote the FG an Every Nigerian Life Matters memo. They never listen, huh.
Close to 20 Nigerians died in multiple bomb blasts yesterday without a word from our President or the Government. This is terrible
— Tomide (@MrTomide) November 16, 2017
5. Back to BBOG activist Oby Ezekwesili’s memo to the FG. She wrote it after 26 girls drowned in the Mediterranean Sea whilst en route Italy to make a better life for themselves. Two of them were pregnant. The Federal Government said not a word after the news broke, forcing Mrs Ezekwesili to school them again. Italy held a state burial for them today (so thoughtful) and this is her prayer (because what else can one do at this point?):
Our 26 daughters are being buried in Italy today. Oh that this would be the LAST TIME we’d lose Daughters of Nigeria in such shamefully tragic manner on the Mediterranean Sea! 🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/ZzqZ5BdPDs
— Oby Ezekwesili (@obyezeks) November 17, 2017
6. Veteran actor Sadiq Daba is battling leukaemia and prostate cancer and when the news hit social media, Nigerians were not amused. Cue Stanley:
7. On the other hand, Budgit co-founder Seun Onigbinde is quite pleased with Governor Fayose’s open polic. He might be the “stomach infrastructure” governor, but you can’t criticise this:
— Peter Ayodele Fayose (@GovAyoFayose) November 16, 2017
Ambode o, come and take your sub.
8. The Presidential Media Team launched a book, ‘Making Steady, Sustainable Progress’, a mid-term scorecard of Buhari’s administration. Tinubu was privileged to speak at the occasion and what did he do but give Jonathan’s administration the gold medal in corruption.
We’re tempted to say “takes one to know one”, but we’ll ignore and allow Tomide speak:
If Nigeria is not a crazy country,criminals like Bola Tinubu can't be brazenly talking about transparency,integrity and anti-corruption.
— Tomide (@MrTomide) November 16, 2017
9. 2019 is rapidly approaching and with it, concerns about the next election season and who will emerge President. Here’s Uche’s suggestion:
In 2019 we need a President who's number 1 priority is the ECONOMY and not corruption, security or all that nonsense politicians talk about. The growing rate of poverty in Nigeria is alarming. How can we have more poor people than India which has over 1.3 billion people!
— Uche Chuta (@nnabros) November 16, 2017
10. In the event that Buhari retains his seat, Onye Nkuzi has some advice for Nigeria’s young people:
If Nigerians want four more years of no direction under Buhari, it is their call.
My advice to young educated Nigerians – sharpen your skills, emigrate. Nigeria will not miss you.
— Onye Nkuzi (@cchukudebelu) November 17, 2017
Because we cannot afford to end this on a glum note…
Messi play o, Messi no play, that one no consain me, na Argentina we flog like computer village thief
— Daddy (@Yemzine) November 14, 2017
No be small thing