The chairman of the caretaker committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Ahmed Makarfi, says the party is cash-strapped.
Makarfi said this on Saturday while giving his opening remarks at the elective convention of the PDP.
- The caretaker chairman said in the past 18 months, his committee has only had access to one bank account which has less than N2 million.
- He said the payments of staff salaries, office needs, maintenance and operational expenses have been from party leaders and personal sacrifices.
- “We virtually lived from hand to mouth. All that we have succeeded in doing, including the payments of staff salaries, office needs, maintenance and operational expenses have been from party leaders and our personal sacrifices.”
- He said since the supreme court judgement which recognised the caretaker committee as valid, “things have been calmer, even though there are still some outstanding legal issues involving Ogun state as well as the south-west zonal leadership”.
- “It is my hope that before long, litigations will cease to be the vehicle through which we resolve our issues in the PDP, as the party has adequate internal mechanisms of conflict resolution that are far better than washing our linens in public,” Makarfi said.
- “I appeal to all members of our great party to eschew division and rancour and imbibe the culture of subsuming their individual interests into the larger interest of the party as the party is such a huge umbrella that is big enough to accommodate the interests of all of us.”
Omoleye Omoruyi… an apprentice web/game developer, novelist, sensitive to happenings in the world. Meet him @Lord_rickie on Twitter/Instagram