Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose has described the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu’s $25bn contract scam allegation against the Group Managing Director, GMD, of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, Dr. Maikanti Baru as an embarrassment to the country.
- Minister of State for Petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu had written a memo to President Muhammadu Buhari, where he accused Baru of $26bn contract scam.
- Kachikwu also accused the NNPC boss of insubordination and sidelining him from important decisions.
- Following the leakage of the memo, President Buhari had held a meeting with the Minister at the Presidential Villa.
- Baru had also responded to the allegations, stating that no law mandates him to discuss contracts with Kachikwu.
What he said:
In a statement by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, Fayose said;
- Buhari is “treating corruption involving his men as family affair”.
“When miscreants write petitions to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, against perceived opponents of President Buhari, EFCC will act immediately, but when known Nigerians, including members of Buhari’s government raise allegations of corruption against close allies of the President, the EFCC will look the other way.”
He said, “As posited by APC Senator, Shehu Sani, we are in a situation where perfume is being sprayed on corruption when it affects Buhari’s men while insecticide is being sprayed on corruption when it involves perceived political opponents of the President.
“When allegation of corruption is made against Buhari’s men, EFCC acts like pet dog, but when it is against those whose faces the President does not like, the anti-graft agency acts like lion.
“No nation can achieve greatness with such a partial leadership.
“As far as I am concerned, President Buhari is not fighting any corruption. He is fighting his political foes and God is not a God of double-standard. This Buhari’s government is a government of double-standard.”