by Hauwa Gambo
So, we were quietly going about our business this morning, when we cam across this priceless full page advert in Thisday.
On its face, there’s nothing wrong with this. The no-doubt impressive mother of the Oyo State governor has passed on and surely must be celebrated by her accomplished son. So Alhaja Sikirat Abeje Ajimobi, of blessed memory had a final burial ceremony.
“Mama,” the ad explained. “was a prominent market and community leader whose exemplary life of love and philanthropy impacted the lives of many.”
Rest in peace, Mummy. But that’s where it stops making sense.
The ad is signed thus:
“From ELOO sisters. Wives of the Governors of: Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun and Osun States.”
And, just in case this embarrassment isn’t enough, they actually published their names and with the logos of their states! “Ekiti State – Erelu Bisi Fayemi, Lagos State – Dame Emmanuella Abimbola Fashola, Ogun State – Mrs. Funsho Amosun, Osun State – Alhaja Sherifat Aregbesola.”
So we have a few questions:
1. Why do wives of any political office holder need an association?
2. Didn’t anyone raise an alarm as to the utter ridiculousness of this operation?
3. Who paid for this advert?
4. Why does a private message to a governor’s mother require the logos of four state governments?
5. We thought many have referred to Erelu Fayemi and Dame Fashola as cosmopolitan women?
6. Have their fired the person who gave the, the brilliant name ‘ELOO sisters’?
7. Do they, like, have monthly strategy meetings where the start off by hailing to each other ‘Eloo, Eloo!”?
8. Shouldn’t this kind of thing be a criminal offense punishable by 100 strokes of the cane?
Wait, maybe someone from the PDP put up this silly ad to mock these fine women?
This is a disaster.