by Muhammad Malumfashi
In summary his 5 years would be remembered as one of the worst in the history of this nation. For ‘Corruption’, ‘Insecurity’, ‘Economy’. Nigerians can’t afford 4 more years of this administration. No way!!
- Jonathan: The man himself masterminded his own defeat it was clear that the Goodluck in Jonathan Goodluck was no more there. In summary his 5 years would be remembered as one of the worst in the history of this nation. For ‘Corruption’, ‘Insecurity’, ‘Economy’. Nigerians can’t afford 4 more years of this administration. No way!!
- DAME Patience: The first lady, his wife also helped him to complete his mission. She made sure that they won’t stay in villa beyond May 29. When Pres. Jonathan Goodluck said some people open mouths and talk like a motor park tout, I thought he was referring to her. The almajiris would surely miss her.
- OBASANJO: Jonathan Goodluck is our president today because of Obasanjo. When OBJ single-handedly picked him as Late ‘Yaradua’s running mate many people rejected him including his Ijaw people, what was Baba’s reason then? Whatever it was Jonathan made him regretted. After a long 18-pages letter he later tired his PDP membership card. If Obasanjo tells you to negotiate your exit you should take it serious! He’s ruled this nation for almost 10 years. You can’t downplay his influence in the PDP, Nigeria and Africa at large. Not only Baba Iyabo, I think all is not well between him and some past leaders and most retired military generals too.
- BAMANGA TUKUR: APC should thank Tukur for his generosity. The Maradona surrendered 5 governors to the APC which made the party even much stronger, not only these 5 state governors, he also made sure PDP stalwarts like Kawu-Baraje, Oyinlola, Atiku Abubakar (Turakin Duniya) left for the APC. Bukola Saraki and many other members of the national assembly’s also later joined. Tukur was part of those who made this history. He was once described as a VIRUS to the PDP, deadlier than Ebola to the (then) ruling party I believe.
- Social media: In the beginning they said elections were not won on twitter, they later realized that twitter users also have PVC. No doubt the social media shaped people. Exposed a lot of lies, propagandas.
- Northern governors & elders: Most Northern elders didn’t support him, those that did couldn’t save him, and neither could they save themselves or their family members too. APC won in PDP controlled states of Kaduna, katsina, Bauchi, Benue, Gombe, Adamawa, Kebbi, Jigawa, Kogi some of the governors couldn’t even save their senatorial ambitions. PDP won only 1 state in the North out of 19, Surprisingly Nasarawa state by 37000 votes. Goodluck Jonathan & Edwin Clark’s letters came a little too late.
- NamadINA: Architectural failure. Just like other PDP members in the North like Walid Jibril, Ibrahim Shekarau, Ambassador Wali, Muhammad Abacha, Tahir Tahir, Attahiru Bafarawa, Mukhtar Shagari… The Vice president failed to keep his promise of 2 million votes from his Kaduna state despite spending billions of Naira. He’s politically irrelevant, if the President had picked a different running mate this time around may be the story would’ve been a little different, I mean less embarrassment. Now that he’s been retired from politics he’ll have more time to learn how to recite the Qur’an in one of the almajiri schools, with his wife Arabic knowledge also. He’ll need it.
- Jonathan’s aides, advisers, support groups: They have been deceiving him for so long to their own advantage. When Professor Soyinka said the president didn’t knew about Nigeria’s ambassador’s withdrawal over Morocco phone call saga till after 5 days. I was totally unsurprised. Some of his assistants attack and abuses whoever criticizes him. TAN told him about 10 million signatories. Gani Adams of OPC promised 6 million votes, Mimiko said he’ll deliver SW to PDP, They all lost their boxes. In Bauchi the home of FCT minister Sen. Bala Muhammad, PDP chairman Adamu Muazu, and a sitting PDP governor, Isa Yuguda PDP all combined couldn’t even get 15% for President Jonathan. All other so-called support groups groups failed him.
- International community: United States (US) sent a strong delegation, European Union (EU) especially UK monitored Nigerian elections. AU & ECOWOS sent their observer’s even way before the elections. UN led by Kofi Anan on a peace accord pact mission. With Gen. (rtd) Abdussalami Abubakar’s role in ensuring free and fair elections in Nigeria. All eyes as NigeriaDecides.
- Card readers: INEC’s card readers largely contributed, it would have been impossible without the PVC and card readers as statistics shows how the number of casted votes dramatically reduced especially in PDP strong hold of South-South and South-East.
– Muhammad Malumfashi tweets from @ya_waliyyi
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija