You want darkness? Then focus on the negative. However, if you want more light, find all the positives you can.
For some reason, too many of us have concluded there is something wrong with us. We lose sight of the precious, powerful fire of life burning within. This light flashes out occasionally as we talk about our passions and desires. However, as we turn to thoughts of daily stress, the light seems to fade.
It is like the difference between a sunny day and a cloudy one. When the sun is shining, everything seems bright, vivid and clear. Everything feels hopeful. When clouds move in, everything feels heavier. We may not catch glimpses of the sun but we still profit from its warmth and light.
Isn’t this the case with our inner world as well? Our inner light is always there, burning. But our constant thinking produces internal clouds that dim our light! Fears arise. We block our light when we worry, doubt our capabilities, or lose ourselves in the darkness of our painful past.
How tragic! If we would use our inner light to face these negative thoughts, they would dissipate and we would see that we are worthy of great success. We would know that we are richly gifted, here for a purpose and capable of maximum impact!
Here are 5 ways to increase your shine:
1. Be a storm watcher. Notice inner storms. Observe thoughts and emotions. The closer you observe, the more you will understand what is keeping you from your light. Own your doubts and fears. It’s okay to be where you are. Whisper to God, “This is what I think. This is how I feel. I’m open to seeing myself and my life in a new way.” Shine love on every fearful thought. Let darkness be absorbed by light. Turn toward the Eternal Sun and notice that your fearful shadows fall behind you.
2. Focus on the light. Stop looking for what’s wrong; instead, focus on every bit of good you can see in yourself, in others and in all situations. What you focus on grows. You want darkness? Then focus on the negative. However, if you want more light, find all the positives you can.
3. Surround yourself with light! Have you noticed how your mood lifts when you are with someone who sees the best in everyone and can always find a positive aspect in a difficult circumstance? Listen closely to what these people say and learn from their perspectives. Consciously choose to be around people who brighten your day. If you find yourself with negative people, decide to be the light for them.
4. Let it shine. Do the things you love to do with passion. Take good care of yourself. Get enough sleep. Eat healthy foods. Give your work your all. Be creative. Find outlets to express your joy. Express kindness to others throughout your day. A simple smile, a considerate action or one encouraging word gives light to others. Remember, when we shine light on others we can’t help but brighten our own path.
5. Use a “light-o-meter”. Pay attention to your light this week. Rate yourself on a scale of 1 – 10 (1 a mostly hidden light, 10 a brightly shining one). Ask yourself, “How brightly is my light shining right now?” Do this daily for a week. Are you brighter on some days than others? If so, notice why. Can you see a pattern?
Food For Thought
“From within or from behind, a light shines through us upon things, and makes us aware that we are nothing, but the light is all.”
~Ralph Waldo Emerson