The Late 5: ‘Dapchi schoolgirls refuse to resume due to security fears’; Donald Trump says summit with Kim Jong-un may be postponed and other stories

Dapchi

The Cardinal of the Abuja Catholic Diocese, John Cardinal Onaiyekan has called on Nigerians to rise above religious, political and ethnic divides to save the country from drifting into anarchy.

Onaiyekan gave the advice on Tuesday during a sermon for the burial of two catholic priests; Rev Frs. Felix Tyolaha and Joseph Gor, at Ayati, a small agrarian hilly village in the outskirts of Ikpayongo in Gwer East local Government Council of Benue.

He called on well-meaning Nigerians to unite in fighting the killings across the country as well  as the Federal Government to act decisively to end the spate of killings across the country, adding that if murderers were allowed to continue killing without checkmating them it will come to a time when people will begin to use other means of self-defense.

The cleric warned: “This must not be politicised. The nation is in a state of emergency. We demand for synergy; division, especially on tribal lines will only throw our nation to anarchy.”


Hundreds of girls in northeast Nigeria have refused to return to their school because of security fears following a mass kidnapping by Boko Haram jihadists, parents and teachers said on Tuesday.

At the Government Girls Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe where over 100 girls were kidnapped on February 19, most pupils have stayed away even after the school re-opened on April 30, as some children who escaped the abduction vowed never to return even as their parents cited security cocncerns.

Yobe Commissioner for Education, Mohammed Lamin, however, dismissed parents’ concerns and said “everything humanly possible” had been done to make the school safe.


Embattled lawmaker, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, on Tuesday at the National Assembly told an investigative panel he would not comment on the subject he was invited for until the matter is settled in court.

The panel set up by the Senate and the House of Representatives to investigate the Senate invasion and mace theft last month, invited Omo-Agege to give a brief on his role in the saga after he was accused of leading the hoodlums.

Omo-Agege declined to answer the question posed to him because of the court process and was waiting until the outcome of it before giving any testimony and added that he was relying on Order 3(5) of the Senate standing order for his decision.

He further read the title and parties to his case in court to put his action “on record” adding that all of the parties he named have been duly served and that he had a proof of Service.


The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Abayomi Olonisakin, has said many ex-military men in the country grappled daily with challenges of civil life, inadequate support and encouragement, adding that the administration of Nigeria’s military retirees was not yet up to international best practices.

Olonisakin stated this in Abuja during a workshop with military veterans and retired military men, saying the Federal Government had sent experts to Egypt and United Kingdom to adopt their pattern of veterans’ welfare for Nigeria’s military retirees.


The Bayelsa state government has condemned the violence and attack on the state-owned Niger Delta University, (NDU), Wilberforce Island, by some alleged hoodlums on Tuesday.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media Relations, Mr. Fidelis Soriwei, blamed opposition political leaders for the alleged attack, alleging the opposition party in the state is responsible for the mobilisation of the hoodlums who, he said, barricaded the gate and disrupted academic activities in the institution last week while protesting the retirement of some “over-aged and redundant personnel.”

He accused the opposition politicians of taking advantage of the ignorance of young people, mobilizing and arming the hoodlums to protest against the decision of the Governing Council and management of the NDU as well as forcibly disrupting the university activities for close to two weeks.


And… stories from around the world.

Kenyan authorities have expressed hope that Russia will use its diplomatic influence to assist in recognising the Al-Shabab terrorist group operating in East Africa, as a global threat.

Dido Rasso, a member of the Kenyan National Assembly Committee on Defence and Foreign Relations, said this in Kenya on Tuesday.

The parliamentarian described it as a global issue, hence it needs “a voice at the highest level of the Security Council,’’ He further called for support from the Russian government in the form of drones, with technology that is able to find out their (Al-Shabab) hideouts and their equipment.


US President Donald Trump has acknowledged doubts he will be meeting next month with the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un.

Trump raised doubts over the timing of the summit, due in Singapore on June 12, at a White House meeting with the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in.

We’re moving along. We’ll see what happens,” Trump told reporters. “There are certain conditions we want to happen. I think we’ll get those conditions. And if we don’t, we won’t have the meeting.”


Shares in Chinese companies that make and sell baby products have gone up after a report said China is considering plans to scrap limits on the number of children a couple can have.

On Monday, Bloomberg reported that China’s state council has commissioned research on the impacts of ending limits on the number of children families can have, citing anonymous sources familiar with government deliberations.


West Ham have appointed Manuel Pellegrini, as head coach.

Pellegrini, 64, has signed a three-year deal at the London Stadium.

The former Manchester City and Real Madrid manager left his job with Hebei China Fortune over the weekend and succeeds David Moyes.

I am excited about this project. My mentality is always to have a winning mentality,” said Pellegrini.


The Prime Minister of Isreal, Benjamin Netanyahu has decided to move all security cabinet meetings from the prime minister’s office to a high-tech underground secure bunker in Jerusalem which hosts the national crisis management centre, reports say.

The decision comes as the threat of escalation with Iran is growing.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail