The Late 5: Former PDP spokesman, Olisa Metuh collapses in Court, Offa banks robbery suspects arrested and other stories

Here are the stories that drove the conversation today:

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) said two principal suspects out of the four gang leaders declared wanted over the banks robbery in Offa, Kwara State have been arrested and confessed to be the gang leaders in the group.

 Police spokesman, ACP Jimoh Moshood in a statement on Monday said those arrested; Kunle Ogunleye (35) and Michael Adikwu, a former convicted police corporal, were arrested on 20th May and two weeks ago in Kwara state respectively.

While investigations are still ongoing, twenty two persons have so far been arrested in connection to the Offa banks robbery, the police spokesman added.


The former National Publicity Secretary of the People’s Democratic Party(PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh, who is standing trial over alleged money laundering of N400 million on Monday collapsed in court on his way to the dock after his case was called upon.

 The trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, however went ahead with the resumed trial, maintaining that Metuh was only trying to employ some delay tactics against his trial, even though he was still lying on the floor in court after he suddenly fell on the floor with a loud thud.

Justice Abang, who was informed of the development on inquiry objected to the withdrawal from the trial by Metuh’s counsel, Emeka Etiaba, who had submitted that he could not go ahead with the case because his client was visibly ill.


The House of Representatives declared on Monday that it would leave no stone unturned to ensure the recovery of about N1.4 trillion unremitted lottery revenue to the federation account.

The House through its committee on governmental affairs led by Mr Hussaini Sulaiman probing losses in the sector(2005 to date) noted that it was unfortunate that lottery operators have been unfair to the country by their unpatriotic conduct, adding that licensed operators owing the government would be made to remit whatever amount is owed and the illegal ones would dealt with.

He lamented the fact government realized about N7. 6 billion from some of the twenty-one licensed lottery operators in the country within the past eleven years even when less populated and endowed countries like Morroco, Cote ‘d Voire, and Togo remitted N58 billion, N2.7 billion, and N1.8 billion on yearly basis.


Five people were killed and several others wounded when suspected herdsmen invaded Michia settlement in Gaambe-Tiev of Logo Local Government Area of Benue State and opened fire on opened fire on the people, most of whom were asleep late Sunday.

The attack was reported to have taken place at 11:30pm and 11:55pm in a professional and swift manner before the arrival of soldiers who reportedly went after the attackers.

The chairman of the Local government, Richard Nyajo confirmed the incidence and said that the corpses have been deposited in the mortuary.


The Lagos State government on Monday said that it has so far achieved an average monthly Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of N34billion in 2018 compared to monthly averages of N22bn, N24bn and N30bn in 2015, 2016 and 2017 respectively.

Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Akinyemi Ashade, disclosed this at the ongoing annual Ministerial Press Briefing held at Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre in Alausa to mark the third anniversary of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode’s administration, attributing the gradual improvement to the impact of the ongoing reforms and growth in the state’s economy.

Ashade also disclosed that the debt profile for the state currently stood at N874.38billion at the end of 2017, adding that the target to grow the state’s IGR to N50bn by next year was well on course.


And stories from around the world:

The Commonwealth said it had received a letter dated May 15 from Zimbabwean President, Emmerson Mnangagwa applying to re-join the group on Monday.

Member countries “very much look forward to Zimbabwe’s return when the conditions are right,” said Secretary-General Patricia Scotland in a statement from London.

Former President, Robert Mugabe who was ousted last year angrily pulled Zimbabwe out of the bloc of former British colonies in 2003 after its membership was suspended over violent and graft-ridden elections the previous year. (AFP)


The death toll in an outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) rose to 26 on Monday after a person died in the northwest city of Mbandaka, the government said, as it began vaccinating first responders against the dreaded disease.

“A death was recorded (on Sunday), while two people who had been confirmed as ill with the Ebola virus were cured on Saturday,” Health Minister Oly Ilunga said.

“Since the outbreak was announced on May 8, there have been 49 cases, comprising 22 confirmed by laboratory tests, 21 probable and six suspected,” Ilunga said. Three new cases had been reported on Saturday. (AFP)


The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have released three official photographs taken on their wedding day.

The pictures, taken by Alexi Lubomirski, include a group photograph with bridesmaids and close family, including their parents and the Queen.

“The couple would like to thank everyone who took part in the celebrations on Saturday,” Kensington Palace said.

“Their Royal Highnesses are delighted with these official portraits,” a statement added. (BBC)


United States Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo has said the US is imposing the “strongest sanctions in history” on Iran.

In a speech in Washington, America’s top diplomat said Iran would be “battling to keep its economy alive” after the sanctions took effect.

His Iranian counterpart said the US “repeats the same wrong choices and will thus reap the same ill rewards.” (BBC)


Law professor, Giuseppe Conte has been named as the choice of the Five Star Movement and League to lead the coalition government in Italy.

The leaders of the two parties have been holding talks with President Sergio Mattarella over the approval of their coalition government.

The Five Star’s Luigi di Maio has said that Mr Mattarella had been informed that Mr Conte was the agreed candidate.

The two populist parties issued their joint coalition plans last week.

 

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail