WikiLeaks has on Monday released more than 21,000 “verified” emails the site claims originated from the campaign of French president Emmanuel Macron, Fox News.
In a statement, Wikileaks said to give background context, 72,000 emails with 26,506 attachments were also released. The site cautioned the public, however, that only “21,075 emails have been individually forensically verified” through its Domain Keys Identified Mail system.
The messages were published in a searchable database, almost the same with the alleged John Podesta emails released in October. The emails were initially published in May, just days before the presidential election.
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) July 31, 2017
Macron confirmed the hack back then in a statement through his political party saying: “The En Marche!Movement has been the victim of a massive and coordinated hack this evening which has given rise to the diffusion on social media of various internal information”.
According to Reuters, the emails were posted on a profile called EMLEAKS to Pastebin, with the culprit unknown. The head of France’s cyber security agency ANSSI said earlier in June that “it could be anyone.”
The leaks nonetheless had no impact on the French election as Macron went on to beat Le Pen in a landslide.