11-year-old student suffers burns after smartphone explodes and sets fire to his bed (PHOTOS)

An 11-year-old boy suffered agonising burns to his legs when a smartphone exploded and set fire to his bed.

Kian McCreath, of Holbrooks, Coventry, woke up screaming with melted plastic stuck to his legs after his brother’s phone burst into flames in their shared bedroom.

The schoolboy’s mother Sarah, 39, doused the burning duvet and mattress and put her son into the bath before he was taken to University Hospital.

Kian with the phone that exploded
Kian's leg showing his injuries

Dangerous phone: Kian McCreath, left with the twisted remains of the phone woke up screaming in a burning bed and was left with painful injuries

Frantic: Kian's terrified mother Sarah put out the flames, lifted her son out of the bed and put him in the bath

Frantic: Kian’s terrified mother Sarah put out the flames, lifted her son out of the bed and put him in the bath

 

The phone, which belonged to Kian’s brother, Mason, was bought as a present for his 13th birthday a fortnight earlier.

Ms McCreath said she had placed the phone on Kian’s bed after finding it on the landing charging last Sunday.

‘It was about 2.30am and I couldn’t sleep so I came downstairs,’ she said. ‘As I left my room and noticed Mason’s phone on charge on the landing.

‘I know the phone has an alarm he uses, so I unplugged it and plonked it on Kian’s bed.

‘I thought nothing of it, made a cup of tea then I heard a really loud “pop” sound. Kian started screaming at the top of his voice, shouting “my bed’s on fire!”

‘It was just horrific.’

The boys’ father Pete had bought the mobile phone for Mason from a Vodafone shop in Birmingham.

‘If Sarah hadn’t acted so quickly that room could have gone up in flames within minutes,’ said Mr McCreath.

‘It was just lucky she got there so quickly.

Red raw: The 11-year-old had to be taken to hospital for treatment - and his parents say they are horrified at the thought of how much worse this could have been

Red raw: The 11-year-old had to be taken to hospital for treatment – and his parents say they are horrified at the thought of how much worse this could have been

‘It was so close. I’m shaking just talking about it. If had been any worse I could have my sons in boxes right now.

‘Kian has burns to his lower legs where it exploded. It’s left them mentally scarred. Kian won’t even go back into his bedroom.’

Mason has been offered a replacement phone by Vodafone, but Mr McCreath said he wants the model recalled because of the risk to his son’s classmates at Cardinal Newman School and children across the country.

‘My main concern now is the safety of other kids.’

Ms McCreath, an admin assistant, added: ‘The whole thing was absolutely terrifying. The whole of his mattress and about a third of his quilt has been burnt away.

‘I keep thinking what would have happened if I had been in bed and the phone had set alight on the landing. I worry that the house could have burnt down.’

A spokeswoman for Vodaphone said the company was trying to get in touch with the McCreaths so the burned phone can be returned and examined.

UK Daily Mail

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

Comments (2)

  1. well it happens. d phone charge controller failed & the battery got overcharged. the mum must have noticed d phone was warm. it can happen 2 any phone. we thank God d boy is alive.

  2. We want to know the smartphone model that exploded so we can avert similar incident!

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail