FG did not pay ransom for the release of 21 Chibok girls, military reiterates

The military on Saturday said the Federal Government did not pay any ransom to Boko Haram insurgents for the release of 21 Chibok girls, contrary to reports in the media.

In a statement by the Defence Headquarters and signed by its spokesperson, Rabe Abubakar, the military said the report was being sponsored by persons with hidden agenda.

There had been reports that the insurgents procured arms with the ransom paid on the girls, which has led to the recent increase in attacks.

The statement reads in part, “It is, therefore, worrisome that some sections of the media continue to undermine this modest effort of the government, security agencies and other stakeholders.

“It is imperative to state categorically that the sponsors of this media campaign have a hidden agenda which is best known to them.

“The military and other security agencies will not be distracted and would remain focus in achieving its objectives in the North East. The important thing is that the release have been made.

“Circumstances surrounding this effort should not be a matter of controversy so as not to overheat the polity and jeorpardising the ongoing efforts to secure the release of the remaining girls and other innocent citizens still in captivity of the terrorists.

“The insinuations that ransom was paid to the terrorists which the terrorists used to escalate the recent attacks in the North East is completely false and imagination of the author. The general public should therefore discountenance it in its entirety”.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail