‘It’s not confirmed yet, the 7 foreigners could still be alive’ – Minister of Interior, Abba Moro

by Rachel Ogbu


The Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, has said the government was still working to free the seven foreign construction workers kidnapped by Islamic group, Jama’atu Ansarul Musilimina Fi Biladis Sudan.

“As long as it (killing) remains unconfirmed, efforts will be made to ensure their rescue and security,” Moro spoke at the BBC Hausa service on Monday.

“I want us to also think that belief is quite different from confirmation. And maybe the affected countries believe that was what happened, but on its part, the country where it is said to have happened, based on what it sees, is doing the best it can in ensuring the men are freed, who it hopes are alive.”

The Ansaru group trying to show proof of the executed had posted a YouTube video showing a gunman standing next to bodies, and then close-ups of their faces lit up by a torch with an Arabic title, “The killing of the seven Christian hostages in Nigeria.”

Also, the terrorist group had also announced and taken responsibility that it killed the hostages because the British and Nigeria forces attempted to free them although Italy and Greece and even Nigeria said there had been no such attempt this time around.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Hassan Mohammed, told reporters that they didn’t have evidence that any of the hostages had been executed.

“We don’t have any information on the hostages’ death; honestly I can’t tell you anything about it because I don’t know, we are still investigating the claims by the sect. But for now, we don’t know the situation of things,” he said.

The Punch report:

Contradicting JAMBS claim, a senior presidential aide told the Guardian of London that no rescue raid was under way or in the pipeline with any other governments.

“The (Nigerian) government had zero indication of where the hostages were being held. We would have mounted a raid if we had known,” the aide told the Guardian of London.

He added that the speed at which events had unfolded over the last few days “caught (the government) on the back foot.”

Two security sources told the Guardian the hostages might have been killed when their captors panicked, mistakenly believing British intelligence operatives based in Nigeria had located them.

A secret service official said that three of the hostages were believed to have been seriously ill during their captivity.

However, as the United Kingdom, Italy and Greece confirmed the killings on Sunday, the Federal Government made no immediate comment.

Efforts to get the Presidency’s reaction yielded no positive result as the telephone lines of the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, was switched off.

It was learnt on Monday that Abati was out of the country.

Also, the Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, did not pick his call when one of our correspondents tried to reach him on Sunday.

The spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Ministry, Mr. Ogbole Ahmedu-Ode, had said he had not been briefed and therefore could not make any comment on the reported killings.

The Information minister declined to make comments on the fate of the seven hostages when confronted by journalists in Abuja on Monday.

I don’t have the full brief to brief you,” Maku said as he walked out of the Presidential Villa, Abuja where he had earlier attended a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan.

When he was further asked to comment on the listing of Nigeria as a terrorist state by France over the incident, the minister kept mum.

When one of our correspondents contacted the Director of Defence Information, Col. Mohammed Yerima, on Monday , he asked, “How can we confirm? There is nothing to confirm. We don’t have comment. We are saying we do not have comment.”

Also, the Bauchi State Police Command said it had no clue on the condition of the seven foreigners said to be Setraco workers.

The command said it had yet to establish the alleged murder of the foreigners who were abducted from their camp in Jama’are, Bauchi State on February 17, 2013 by JAMBS members.

It was gathered that security agencies were still combing Bauchi and the neighbouring states for the abducted Setraco workers.

JAMBS killed a British and an Italian hostage in North-West Nigeria during a failed rescue mission by British and Nigerian forces a year ago.

A German kidnapped by an Islamist group in January 2012 was also killed later in the year during a raid on his location.

A French national is being also held by the group, while another family of seven kidnapped in northern Cameroon are being held by a group claiming to be Boko Haram.

Security officials say JAMBS split from Boko Haram in January 2012, after the latter launched a devastating attack on the city of Kano that killed 186 people, mostly Muslims.


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail