At the resumed ministerial screening of Tuesday, Folorunso Adewole was the first nominee to mount the podium.
Adewole, a Professor of Obstetrics & Gyneacology, is the incumbent Vice Chancellor of the University of Ibadan.
The academic fielded question from Senators George Akume, Ali Ndume, Senator Emmanuel Paulker’s.
Adewole spoke on issues bordering on cultism, abortion, medical practices in Nigeria and the non-functioning National Health Insurance Scheme.
Here are 10 quotes we gathered from his screening:
- I have dedicated my life into preventing issues such as maternal mortality and infant mortality.
- I promise to service with patriotism and commitment; I shall bring my modest experience to serve.
3. We need to put money in education. We need to recognize education as Vital to the economy.
4. Though we have cancer among young ones, but cancer is a disease of the old age.
5. Prostrate cancer is the leading form of cancer among men. People need to understand cancer, we can manage it if we do.
6. I must say I am Pro-Life. Lots of women die from abortion, we need to create a sexual education to enlighten these girls. Even after the crime on abortion is committed, we should still care for these girls.
7. I still remain an activist, the only thing that has changed is that I am more matured.
8. What we need is a well updated, well upgraded and a well functional Health Care System. About 60% of Nigerians go to private clinics, we need to regulate the Health Care System in Nigeria. We can reduce the rate of Infant Mortality and Maternal Mortality to an acceptable rate.
9. The issue of brain-drain is complex and not just peculiar to Nigeria. On movement, every human being seeks for greener pastures. What we need to do is improve our environment. On privatisation of primary care, if there is enough funding, there should be no need for privatisation.
10. Some women cannot afford delivery fees in hospitals. We need to partner with churches to ensure safety.