Are you tired of sneezing and having an itchy nose and throat inside of your home? There may be hidden allergy inducers throughout your home that are triggering you to react. Below are a list of “allergy hotspots” that may be causing you to acquire an allergic reaction to something inside your home:
Triggers such as mold, dust, and pet dander lurk around every corner — often in unexpected places. Mold spores can grow in the pots and spread to the floor. To minimize this, remove dead leaves, use saucers, and avoid over-watering.
Your pet’s fur is not the source of your allergic reaction. The real source are proteins found in your pet’s saliva, urine, and dander — dead skin cells that become airborne and settle on carpets, furniture, and bedding. Pet hair can still be to blame because it can collect dander and other allergens like dust and pollen.
Carpets and Rugs
As they accumulate dust, carpet and area rugs become a feeding ground for microscopic dust mites. To reduce this problem, use a vacuum with a HEPA filter. Or consider removing the carpeting altogether. Keep indoor humidity below 55% and use vents in bathrooms.
Book dust harbors dust mites, mold spores, and tiny critters called booklice. If you acquire an allergic reaction to your books, try vacuuming their surfaces regularly or storing the books in a closed container. Decreasing the indoor humidity and removing mold as a food source will also help curb the number of booklice.
Upholstered furniture provides a cozy refuge for dust mites. Vacuum furniture fabric regularly. Leather, vinyl, or other smooth surfaces can lessen allergies. Furniture stored in damp areas, such as basements, may grow mold spores, shown here. Use a dehumidifier in damp rooms to reduce moisture.