The Big 5: 121 policemen dismissed for shunning deployment against Boko Haram; APC chieftain explains why Igbos must vote Buhari in 2019 | Other top stories

These are the stories you should be monitoring today.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said Thursday, it has secured 312 convictions between January and December 24, 2018.

It said the rate of convictions was “undoubtedly a significant improvement from the 189 convictions in 2017”.

A statement by the Head of Media and Publicity, Tony Orilade reads, “The record of convictions cuts across the various offices of the EFCC with Lagos securing 85 convictions, Abuja (53), followed by Kano with 36. Port Harcourt secured 33 convictions, Gombe recorded 28; Benin had 27; Enugu (15); Maiduguri (11); Ibadan (10); Uyo (eight), and Kaduna (six).”


All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain and Voice of Nigeria (VON) Director-General, Osita Okechukwu said that only the Southeast people can deny the region of the presidency in 2023 if they vote against Muhammadu Buhari in the 2019 presidential election.

He warned that the fruit of whatever they sow with their votes would be there for them to harvest in 2023, should they cast their ballot against Buhari.

Okechukwu was reacting to the statement credited to the Ohanaeze Ndigbo to the effect that 2023 Igbo presidency quest is a plot to hoodwink the region.


After vehemently denying the report, Nigerian Police have dismissed 121 of at least 167 police officers who left their duty from a counterterrorism training facility to avoid deployment against Boko Haram insurgents last week.

According to Premium Times, the 121 officers of the police rank-and-file were accused of committing mutiny and desertion, prompting Inspector-General Ibrahim Idris to order their dismissal with immediate effect.


Osun Governor, Gboyega Oyetola Thursday, presented a N152 billion budget before the Osun House of Assembly as the fiscal proposal for 2019 – promising that workers’ salary would now be paid promptly and in full.

The governor, during the budget presentation, said the era of modulated salaries had ended and workers and pensioners would now be paid full salaries and pensions as and when due.

Oyetola tagged the fiscal proposal ‘Budget of Hope’.


The former military governor of Lagos and chairman, presidential advisory committee on drugs, Buba Marwa has asked Thursday, in Yola, that all those seeking to occupy the Aso presidential villa should wait till 2023 as President Muhammadu Buhari would be returned to power in 2019.

Marwa said he was confident that Buhari would win in the 2019 election.

“Buba Marwa Organisation is the first to organise rally in support of President Buhari in 2016, because Buhari has done very well in three areas of economy, security and fight against corruption.

“He will return for the second time by the grace of God, and for that, I have no doubt all those vying for Aso Villa should wait till 2023,” Marwa said.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail