by Isi Esene
The ban on the operation of commercial motorcyclists, popularly known as ‘okada’, on major highways by the Lagos State government has continued to elicit reactions – some are, of course, in support and several others are acutely against it.
No other platform reflected this multiplicity of thought other than the social media network, Twitter, where several opinions were aired.
As a platform with excited by issues and debate, YNaija sampled the opinions of ‘tweeps’ on what they think about Governor Babatunde Fashola’s new ‘war on okadas’ and here we go:
– @Yemienergy RT @tyris2727: Wot will he be replacing okada with? OKADA
– #FasholaOkada “@kazmospolitan: @YNaija -why not an underground railway system across the big cities of 9ja?”
– @iampeacocky: Beht are we not? RT @koladapopremier: Okada and marwa are the signs and evidences of being a third world nation @YNaija #FasholaOkada.
– @geezone007: Increased unemployment, increased crime, increased skl dropouts”@ged: Some of these policies will reflect in the 2015 polls.
– @Langilang: Asinnnn. Its insane! RT @ged: #fuelsubsidy removal and #fasholaokada clampdown have one thing in common. Increasing the residents suffering!
– RT @fatimajohnson: #fasholaokada bikes ve always been used to rob in Lag (& other states), they cause major accidents, not 2 talk of d noise pollution.
– @sojyn101 @Yemienergy @tyris2727 #FasholaOkada before Okada what were means of transportation did we have… or use?
– @upsilon1 Yimu. Nothing in common “@ged: #fuelsubsidy removal and #fasholaokada clampdown have 1thing in common. Increasing the residents suffering!”
– @boluwatiphe: @koladapopremier @YNaija #FasholaOkada are you just knowing we r a 3rd world nation?! Its elimination by substitution! We need alternatives!
– @sadiqueens: Fasholaokada#if d restoration of sanity 2 oshodi dnt increase crime u can bet dat d restriction of okada on sm roads wont.
– @assey240: Nigeria bad roads av killed more citizen dan okada.
– @solatona: @YNaija #FasholaOkada Perfect decision/policy by any responsible government…The riders are simply lawless and reckless.
– @ikennachi: No Okadas, No much Area boys.there’s also potential for investment in other means of transport @leeryda @YNaija @Ositata_dinma #FasholaOkada
– @thecroesus: @YNaija They ought to have been phased out gradually. Alternatives should be provided & the roads fixed.
– @leeryda: @Lulahdabale @YNaija #FasholaOkada #Okada okada’s perpetrate crimes? What if people start using boats to rob? Or cars? #shortcutsolutions.
With the raging debate on the new Lagos traffic law, what do you think? How has the clampdown on commercial motorcycles affected you? We’ll want to hear your views.