by Dr. Jimade Ola-Solomon
1. Eat wisely: the key to healthy diet is to eat the right number of calories for how active you are, if you eat too much you will put on weight ,if you eat too little you will lose weight ,here are ten ways to have a balanced diet:
Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
Eat food that contains fibre.
Drink lots of water after meals.
Eat less salt.
Cut down on saturated fat.
Don’t skip breakfast.
Avoid drinks and processed food.
Stop eating when you feel like.
Cut down on soda and caffeine.
Don’t nibble between meals.
2. Exercise properly: Exercising daily has tremendous benefits to your health, it lowers the risk of disease such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke, it is necessary to pick up exercise you enjoy so that you naturally want to do them. Exercise is not about suffering and pushing yourself, it is about being healthy and having fun at the same time.
3. Watch your weight: Your weight goes a long way to determine how you look and also be addressed. Everyone loves to fit perfectly well in their favourite outfits and have positive self- esteem. The keys to having that perfect weight/ BMI are eating just enough for the kind of work you do and having a balanced diet
4. Live a life with purpose: Positive health from within, are you living in line with your purpose, are you living a life of meaning. You need to discover your purpose in life and experience the joy that comes from living a purposeful life. I have ever been happier since I started living a purposeful live, you too can experience this.
5. Sleep properly: Getting enough sleep is very important, when you didn’t sleep well your brain works at a suboptimal level; research has shown that sleeping well at night with a good pattern helps improve mental power. Lack of sleep causes premature ageing and skin wrinkling and you wouldn’t want that.
6. Smoking: Smoking has been proven to be detrimental to health, risk of lung cancer, oesophageal cancer, gastric cancer and stroke. If you are a smoker quit for a better health, not just for yourself but for people around you, your family and friends. If you don’t smoke, do not start, get away from people that smoke and avoid gathering with smokers.
7. Proper dental hygiene: Not only does good dental hygiene makes you a lot more desirable, it has been shown to prevent some diseases such as infective endocarditis, dental carries and halitosis. It is advisable you brush your teeth at least twice daily, rinse your mouth after each meal and at night.
8. Forgive your enemies: Nursing negatively in your heart could be detrimental to your heart, studies have shown that people who grudges against others are prone to have peptic ulcer disease and ulcerative colitis. Forgiving your enemies and letting out negativity is essential to having a healthy life. It is best to purge out all hatred and avoid who are critical.
9. Proper skin care: I know it is everyone’s desire to look good and be addressed as handsome/beautiful, the simple key to achieving this is by watching your face at least twice daily so as to get rid of the excess sebum and organisms that accumulate as we go about our day to day activity. For those with oily skin type you could wash with a cleanser and apply a little amount of topical serum. For those with spots and black heads, I recommend you apply topical steroidal agents after washing.
10. Always wear a smile: You would be surprised at how wearing a simple smile and being cautious could go a long way to affecting your health and your personal wellbeing positively till you start doing this. Stay positive and stay Alive
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.