Most women feel that they know their body and how it works. There are some facts however that may be lost on most about the vagina.
1. The vagina has a pH level. A healthy pH level is between 3.5 and 4.5. There are many outside factors that can change the pH level. When outside factors such as blood, semen, lubricant, or bacterial vaginosis are introduced, the pH level drops, making it become more acidic. The pH drops naturally when ovulation is happening so that a few “little swimmers” will be able to reach the egg for fertilization.
2. The vagina relies on good bacteria to keep things in check. The bacteria Lactoballicus is a good bacteria that is found in foods such as yogurt with live cultures. This bacteria will help to fight off infection and keep things running smoothly.
3. The vagina is made up of muscle. These muscles must be strong to withstand intercourse and childbirth. After surgeries such a hysterectomy, age, and childbirth, the muscles are not as strong as they used to be. Kegel exercises can help strengthen the muscle again. This exercise is done by clenching the muscles as if you were trying to stop a flow of urine. The best part is that you can do these exercises any time of the day.
4. There is a production of mucus that some confuse with an infection. Right around ovulation, the mucus becomes thicker to accommodate sperm. It can have the appearance of some type of infection, and if you are not sure, see a doctor.
5. It comes in all shapes and sizes. The plastic surgery business is booming, and some people will have almost anything tucked if they think it doesn’t look right, including the vagina or other parts around it.
Read full article in Healthy Black Woman
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.
Leave a reply