Shame on Kim Kardashian. Shame on Kris Humphries. Shame on them for trampling once again on the holy sacrament that is called matrimony – breaking off after a mere 72 days. Right? Oh please. Celebrities didn’t ruin the institution of marriage – if anything, those lavish ceremonies they throw serve to remind us of the beauty of that union between man and wife.
So, what we’ve done is get together the best of Nigerian celeb marriages that got us talking – and that lasted longer than 72 days.
72 is the new benchmark.
1) Bella Adenuga and Jameel Disu: She is the daughter of billionaire businessman Mike Adenuga, complete with a gold plated mansion named after her. He is the man every Nigerian male would gladly trade place with. It was the ultimate celebration! A year later and her fairytale wedding is still a fairytale marriage – as far as we can tell. So, they can ‘glo’ with pride.
2) Ini Edo and Mike Ehiagwina : After a whirlwind courtship not devoid of its own scandals, Ini Edo exchanged vows with her heartthrob, proving the famous ‘haters’ wrong. More than two years later, she is still proving them wrong.
3) Dakore Egbuson and Olumide Akande: Ah, you thought this would never happen, no? Well, the politician’s scion sealed the deal in January this year effectively yanking the sexy siren off our screens. It is hard to complain though, they seem destined for each other.
4) Caroline Ekanem and Musa Danjuma : Another Nollywood starlet lost to us forever thanks to the cold hands, sorry warm embrace, of marriage. Don’t ever take your eyes away from that last time – it’s worth changing your life for. Congrats, Carol!
5) Mike Ezuruonye and Nkechi: The handsome Nollywood A-lister wedded his heartthrob after they met at a movie set. One year after, they are still living the dream.
6) Mercy Johnson and Prince Okojie : You know we had to go there! Mercy insisted on wedding her prince, baby mama drama be damned! . The fact that the union is still intact 81 days later (yes we counted) is proof that love conquers all indeed. Inside sources reveal that the award winning actress has never been happier.
To God be the glory.