Minister-Designate, Claudius Daramola mounted the podium at the ongoing ministerial screening, after Senator Heineken Lokpobiri was screened.
Although no portfolios are attached to the nominees, Daramola was asked questions that centered on education.
The Ondo state indigene was also queried on girl child education, cultism, tuition fees, among others.
Here are 7 quotes from Daramola’s session:
1. “I am a made in Nigeria academic. We have systemic problems in our educational sector.”
2. “We must put plans in motion to monitor funds allocated to education. If thorough supervision is put in place, our educational system will improve.”
3. “Cultism is a spill over from our society, which can be curbed by the corporation of society and parents. You rarely find children of the poor as cultists, most of them come from comfortable families.”
4. The reason why our educational system is weak is because we are sticking to old methods which are not skill-focused. Thorough supervision is needed to help improve our educational system. We have to train and retrain teachers. And most importantly, Teachers have to be paid regularly.
5. “Parent should be educated on the importance of girl child education. History should be brought back to our schools.”
6. “If teachers are not paid for 8 months, 9 months, how do you expect them to give their best.”
7. “Conventional universities are producing graduates while Colleges of Education find it difficult to produce graduates. We need to introduce entrepreneurial studies into our educational system.”