by S’ola Filani
In three days, about a million voters who have collected their Permanent Voter Card in Osun State will be filing out to choose their governor for the next four years – this exercise hopefully will bring to an end the ongoing uncivil electoral war – between the Peoples Democratic party (PDP) and All Progressive Congress (APC) – in the state.
Showing massive support for the All Progressives Congress at a mega rally at the Osogbo township stadium yesterday, former Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun State addressed the citizens and stated out some interesting facts on why the people of the state should vote against the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Senator Iyiola Omisore.
Oyinlola who spoke in Yoruba language, urged the people to vote for Governor Rauf Aregbesola, by stating the following:
- PDP is not fair to the Yoruba people, no Yoruba person is occupying any of the top 20 political offices in the country.
- The candidate of their party is selfish.
- I don’t know how Bola Ige was killed. Although Omisore was accused of killing Bola Ige, God knows who was responsible for the killing.
- While I was the former National Secretary of the PDP, I was badly treated by the PDP despite being loyal to them.
- “Let us look at this; he (Omisore) picked Prof. Wale Oladipo, who was in the prison with him (over Bola Ige’s case) to replace me as the National Secretary of the PDP. He nominated Jelili Adesiyan who was also with him at Agodi Prison as a minister and he installed Gani Olaoluwa, who was also with them at the prison as the PDP chairman in the state. Does it mean that we cannot hold public office except we are former prisoners? The running mate (Adejare Bello) is the only one different. The PDP is now empty.”
Reacting to the defection, the Chairman of the PDP in Osun State, Alhaji Gani Olaoluwa, in a statement, wished him well in his new political party.
Olaoluwa said that the former governor required prayers as he started a political journey with the APC, which he described as a party of professional liars.
“I am sure that his immediate and extended family members will even be disappointed. As a political party, the PDP in Osun has shock absorbers to contain such eventuality as we are always prepared legally, constitutionally and politically.” He said