The Big 5: Labour raises minimum wage demand from N56,000, ICC prosecutor seeks justice for Rohingya and other top stories

These are the stories you should be monitoring today.

The Organised Labour has presented a fresh demand for the new National Minimum Wage for workers to the tripartite committee, using current economic indices as its yardstick.

It said the N56,000 earlier presented was no longer feasible.

The NLC General Secretary, Peter Ozo-Eson said that the fresh demand was submitted at the last meeting of the tripartite committee after an agreement among Labour leaders.


The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said telecoms giant, MTN, has paid N165 billion out of the N330 billion fine given to it in 2015 for subscriber identity module (SIM) registration infractions.

Its Executive Vice Chairman, Umar Danbatta, spoke when the MTN Nigeria delegation, led by its Chairman, Dr. Pascal Dozie, visited the NCC’s Headquarters in Abuja.

According to Danbatta, MTN has so far had paid more than 50 percent of the fine following its recent payment of N55billion in March.


According to Premium Times, the suspected armed robbers who stormed OffaKwara last Thursday divided themselves into two teams upon arrival, with the first team confining officers at the nearest police station while the other unleashed terror on bank premises and residents.

Because they came in large number, they were able to divide themselves, attacking the banks and attacking the police station at the same time,” police commissioner Lawan Ado said.

They demobilised the police station.”


The federal government on Monday expressed worry over increasing spate of killing of Nigerians in the UK in recent time.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa expressed government’s position on the matter in a statement by her Media Aide, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, in Abuja.

Dabiri-Erewa advised Nigerians to be careful and exercise restraint.


A resolution that was reportedly adopted unanimously by members of the All Progressives Congress National Executive Committee (APC-NEC) has given the current National Working Committee (NWC) an approval to continue overseeing the affairs of the party for another one year in the absence of a valid convention.

The resolution, adopted Monday afternoon at the party’s headquarters in Abuja, could see John Odigie-Oyegun remain the chairman of the party until after the 2019 elections.


And… stories from around the world.

US President Donald Trump has promised a “forceful” response to the alleged chemical attack in Syria, as Western leaders consider what action to take.

We have a lot of options militarily,” he told newsmen. He added that a response would be decided “shortly“.


The Constitutional Court in Uganda is hearing an opposition attempt to annul a constitutional amendment which removes presidential age limits.

MPs voted overwhelmingly last year to scrap the age limit of 75.

It meant 73-year-old President Yoweri Museveni, in power for more than 30 years, could seek re-election in 2021.


Donald Trump declared an “attack on our country in a true sense” was underway after FBI agents conducted a raid on the office of his longtime personal attorney, Michael Cohen, on Monday.

The raid was carried out after a referral from the special counsel, Robert Mueller, to New York-based federal prosecutors, a lawyer for Cohen said. It was not clear that the raid related to Mueller’s investigation of alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

He called it “an attack on our country in a true sense. It’s an attack on what we all stand for.”


The prosecutor of the international criminal court has asked it to rule on whether it has jurisdiction over the deportations of Rohingya people from Myanmar to Bangladesh, a possible crime against humanity.

A ruling affirming jurisdiction could pave the way for an investigation into the deportation of many thousands of Rohingya, though Myanmar is unlikely to cooperate.


Chinese leader Xi Jinping has issued a veiled warning to Donald Trump as the threat of a trade war with the US rages on, calling on other countries to refrain from “seeking dominance” and “reject power politics,” adding that “arrogance … will get [you] nowhere”.

The Chinese president said that those who ignored the “trend of the times” toward openness would be “left behind and assigned to the dustbin of history”.

Xi was speaking at the Boao Forum for Asia in China’s southern province of Hainan, modelled after the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail