TICKER: Cockroach-eating contest winner dies… after eating too many cockroaches

A 32-year-old man collapsed and died after winning a snake in a cockroach-eating contest.

Edward Archbold was taking part in the “Eat Bugs For Balls” competition held at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Florida.

The event promised a female ivory ball python to the winner – which was announced as Archbold, who gamely chomped his way through “dozens” of worms and cockroaches.

According to a statement released by Broward Sheriff’s Office, Archbold became ill and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

It added: “None of the other contestants presented any medical issues after the contest.

“Archbold’s body was transported to the Broward Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy. They are awaiting test results in order to determine a cause of death.”

“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, told The Telegraph.

Professor Adams said he had never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches, and added: “Some people do have allergies to roaches, but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”

– Huffington Post

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail