Who will educate us? Who will give us light? How many more have to die from generator fumes?

by Mayowa Aboah

 

Generator-Fumes-2Fumes from a generator have reportedly killed a 6 year-old boy in Aba, Abia State.

The incident occurred on a Friday night as members of Young People’s Christian Fellowship, located on Eziukwu road, Aba, passed out due to fumes from a generator that was within the fellowship premises.

According to witnesses, about 16 others were reported to have collapsed due to excess carbon monoxide fumes inhaled and were presently receiving treatment at two local hospitals – Austine Grace Hospital, and Goodness & Mercies hospital – in Aba.

Earlier this month, a family consisting of a woman, two children (five months old and ten years respectively), and a girl were reported dead in Akwa Ibom state, after they had slept off while watching a world cup game late in the night. The family was said to have placed their generator set by the side of their room following a downpour that was on at the time. This lead to fumes being emitted into their room, leaving them lifeless.

In May this year, a man identified as Etim Edet, a staff of Nigeria Brewery Plc, died alongside his Wife and five other family members in Bagido area of Ijede Lagos, due to fumes from his generator.

Another case was reported in Delta state when late Jacob Ikenchukwu Obuteh, five of his children and a young man were found lifeless in Ime Obi village, Agbor, due to excess inhalation of fumes by a standby generator.

The list doesn’t end here, as there has been more of such cases recorded in Nigeria.

Who will educate us? Who will give us light? How many more have to die from generator fumes?

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail