Calls for interim government are a treasonable offence – Tambuwal

by James Sambo

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, has urged politicians to accept the result of the forthcoming elections and “not oppose God and the will of the people”.

He made the utterance on Tuesday, March 3, while speaking at a meeting with a coalition of civil society groups, Nigerian Civil Society Situation Room.

Tambuwal said he has observed that the “signs” of a likely return to dark days in Nigeria were evident for all to see.

The Speaker rebuked the alleged plans to use Service Chiefs to force INEC Chairman, Attahiru Jega, out of office, while adding that the suggestion of an interim government by some groups was “treasonable.”

He said: “Any form of government outside our Constitution is a coup. Why are the security agencies not charging such persons with treasonable felony? Some individuals are bent on ensuring that the elections do not hold or in the alternative, create scenarios that will make the conduct of the polls impossible for INEC.”

Speaking further, Tambuwal stressed that power belongs to God and He gets to decide whom to give.

He said: “Some individuals are not interested in a free and fair process of elections. You should remember that people voted you into power; if the same people are saying go and rest through a free and fair process, then respect their decision.”

“Some persons occupied these offices before we came in. What would have happened if they refused to vacate the offices for us? Not up to 10 per cent of Nigerians are politicians; what happens to the remaining 90 per cent ? In any case, there has to be a country to govern. Are we as a nation ordinarily supposed to be where they are today?”

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail