by Azubuike Azikiwe
The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, has shut down the platform for raising campaign funds for General Muhammed Buhari’s presidential campaign.
The platform was launched, alongside five others in Lagos on Tuesday, January 20, to encourage supporters of the opposition party to donate money for its electioneering.
Nigerians willing to contribute to Buhari’s campaign had to send APC to the 35350 to contribute N100 to the campaign either using MTN, Glo, Etisalat, Airtel and Visaphone.
Reacting to the blocking of the platform, Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola told a news conference on Thursday, January 22, that President Goodluck Jonathan has become so desperate that he is using the NCC to haunt the opposition party.
Fashola said: “The NCC has shut down the 35350 platform for sending N100 message to the Buhari fund raising campaign yesterday afternoon. Before it was shut down, 5400 people had contributed N100 to the Buhari campaign fund using the platform.”
“Why should a commercial transaction be frustrated because of one man’s desire to serve and why should they be shutting down generational platform?”
The governor said he had been receiving messages from people since Wednesday, complaining that they could not get through to the line because NCC had shut it down.
Speaking further, Fashola said in 2010, a similar platform was approved by the NCC to raise funds for the Jonathan-Sambo campaign, while also appealing to President Jonathan to instruct NCC to restore the platform as the people’s freedom is being threatened.
According to the governor, Jonathan had become so desperate and intolerant in recent time, that he continuously oppressed the opposition in a bid to hold on to power at all costs.
Fashola added that the Federal Government had earlier shut down the website of the APC, which he says compelled the party to launch another platform which is also being haunted by the presidency.