by Azubuike Azikiwe
Five people have been confirmed dead in Cross River state, after eating dog meat. The incident happened last Friday in Uchenyim Village, Wanikade, North Ukelle.
According to Ugbem Onawo, a resident of the village, the dog ate chicken eggs laced with gamalin 20 insecticide, after which, it fell ill. When it was was about to die the owner hurriedly killed it and made a meal out of it, which he ate with his two children and two neigbours .
Five of them also ate the intestines of the dog where the poison from the gamalin 20 was lodged. After eating the intestines, they all took ill, and passed away at different times.
Onawo revealed that they were rushed to the local health centre for medical attention but were all confirmed dead on arrival.
He said, “A feeling of grief has descended on the entire village and people are deeply saddened by what took place as such a tragedy has not befallen them before.”
The Councilor representing Wanikade Ward at the Yala LGA, Frank Ugbem, said the tragedy is painful and that he has sent a delegation to console the bereaved families.