U.S. President, Donald Trump has issued a new order imposing restrictions or suspensions on travel to the U.S. from eight countries, making augmentation to the initial travel ban from six Muslim-majority nations that had been limited by court challenges and is soon to expire.
• The justification for the act
The President, who declared the proclamation on Sunday said, “I must act to protect the security and interests of the United States and its people”.
Speaking to reporters earlier, Trump said “the tougher, the better,” on the restrictions. His action is in full compliance with his campaign promise where Trump often spoke of “extreme vetting” of those wanting to enter the U.S., and he tweeted as regards to that on Sunday saying, “We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet.”
• Affected countries and implementation
The new order restricts travel on every side from Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen and Somalia, all of which were on the original list, in addition to Venezuela, North Korea, and Chad. Sudan has been exempted from the original list. Each of the countries will be subject to its own set of restrictions.
A senior administration official said the proclamation authorises Department of Homeland Security to at its discretion add or remove travel restrictions on countries as conditions change, a senior administration official said.
The restrictions which saw some of its parts taking effect from Sunday will have its fresh provisions melted from Oct. 18 to avoid the surge that greeted US airports and in abroad upon the immediate implementation of the initial travel ban.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said in a statement, “The State Department will coordinate with other federal agencies to implement these measures in an orderly manner”.
• Department of Homeland Security’s review
Administration officials told reporters on Friday that, acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke sent President Trump the recommendations for entry restrictions and additional visa requirements tailored to shortcomings in the information each country shares with the U.S. and an assessment of the risk of terrorist infiltration the nation poses.
The acting secretary said in a statement, “The restrictions announced are tough and tailored, and they send a message to foreign governments that they must work with us to enhance security”.
• The initial travel bans
Trump’s previous efforts to restrict travel to the U.S. which prompted court challenges, mass protests and criticism from corporate leaders, was rescinded after it was halted by a judge, but replaced with a new executive order on March 6. The March executive order was also challenged at the Supreme Court and is scheduled for hearing on Oct. 10 at the Supreme Court.
Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Flores said last week that government lawyers would continue to “vigorously defend” the travel restrictions.