by Esho Wemimo
One is never overdressed or under dressed with a little black dress”
The little black dress was introduced to the world by the lady; Coco Chanel in the 1920’s and is still an essential item in every lady’s wardrobe.
The black dress is most important because, you can’t go wrong with it; it can be dressed up or down and can be styled to fit any occasion what so ever and most importantly is for ladies of all ages.
The little black dress comes in all lengths, cuts and designs in which will be discussed including notes on how to style it.
The strapless little black dress is a very sexy attire that leaves the neckline bare and allows for displaying of gorgeous neck pieces
– A chunky neckpiece on a strapless dress with elaborate chandelier earrings is too much going on, stud earrings are preferable.
– If the hair is styled in an up do and paired with a strapless dress, chandelier earrings should be worn and a neckpiece ignored.
– Accessories such as bracelets, brooches and rings can be worn as pleased on a strapless black dress
– Cuts of the little black dress like the knee length shift dress are more appropriate for a work setting, whereas, a cut-out dress, clingy dresses and shorter cuts are more appropriate for the night time.
– High heeled pumps can be worn on black dresses that are figure hugging and not wedges. When in doubt about what colour of shoes to wear, red is the perfect choice with the little black dress
– If it’s a sequined dress, minimal jewellery is needed in the neck area as well as the earlobes.
– For a toned down look, the strapless black dress can be paired with a blazer in a contrasting colour as well as a leather jacket.
– Belts come in handy and can up the beauty of a little black dress provided it fits the cut of the dress when cinched on the waist.
– When in a black Grecian gown and an alter neck dress, no jewelry is needed on the neckline as it’s not bare. Dropping earrings can be worn with this, regardless of how the hair is styled.
– The right type of underwear should be chosen, as the right underwear gives a good boost to an outfit. A push up strapless bra is necessary for a strapless black dress. Also proper underwear that doesn’t show off panty lines in a figure hugging black dress is encoutaged.
– Clutches and little sling purses rather than oversized hand bags give a classier and sophisticated look to the little black dress.
– Panty hose in sheer fabric is a way to spice up the little black dress for a night time look.
– If you like wearing scarves, a nice silk scarf makes a lovely addition to a little black dress.
– All forms of hair accessories, ranging from head bands to head wraps and well placed hats are suitable in dressing up the little black dress.
– Pearls always look great with all black dresses.
The black dress never goes out of style.
About the author: Wemimo is sociology major, blogger and aspiring journalist. Music lover, contributor with the aim of owning a 5000 square foot wardrobe and ridding the world of carrot jeans. I have an ardent passion for top quality art, fashion and books.
Editor’s note: Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.