by Azeez Adeniyi
The Federal Government has said some of the released Chibok girls would undergo surgery for various ailments.
Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Jummai AlHassan said this at a press conference in Abuja on Thursday.
The minister stated that the girls were undergoing treatment that would take a few weeks to complete.
She said the tests conducted on the 82 freed girls who were abducted by Boko Haram has shown that some needed to be operated on.
She stated that the medical screening, being carried out on the girls, would be completed between two and three weeks.
“The 82 Chibok girls are currently undergoing medical screening in Abuja. Some of them need surgery; this should be completed in two to three weeks,” she said.
She added that the Federal Government had been taking care of the 21 previously released girls and four babies.
According to her, they were not medically fit when they returned and had to spend almost two months under medical care and were handed over to her on December 22, 2016.
The women affairs minister explained that the parents of the 21 girls were reunited with their daughters within one week of their return in October 2016.
“Upon return, all the 21 Chibok girls said they wanted to go back to school, but that they didn’t want to go to school in Chibok,” she said.
According to her, the girls travelled to Chibok for Christmas in December 2016 as soon as they emerged from medical care and spent two weeks there.
She said although they were scheduled to travel to Chibok again for Easter, security situation at that time was not conducive enough, so their parents were invited to Abuja.
Alhassan disclosed that it was the choice of the Chibok girls and their parents to stay under the care of the Federal Government in Abuja.