Former President Goodluck Jonathan in a Facebook post on Tuesday, has condemned the purported song said to be wishing the Igbos dead, saying that it should not be taken lightly.
He urged Nigerians to continue to remain united, calling on security agencies to nip it in the bud.
“I am disturbed about the news of a song celebrating hatred against a particular Nigerian ethnic group,” he wrote.
“Given that a similar song is what ignited the Rwandan Genocide, as a nation, we must not take these reports lightly. I urge the security services to do their utmost to nip this wickedness in the bud.
“As I have said previously, we must understand and accept that all Nigerians are brothers and sisters born from the womb of one Nigeria. May this be uppermost in our minds as we pray that God may bless Nigeria.”
He wrote, “I have taken my time before commenting on the killings at the St. Philips Catholic Church, Ozubulu, in Anambra state, in order that I could be accurately briefed on the truth of the matter. However, I condemn the killings and express my shock at such an event which is outside our culture of respect and reverence for religious places of worship and love for our fellow man. I condole with the survivors and the families of the victims and pray for the departed. In order to ensure that such occurrences never reoccur, we must rededicate ourselves to our principles of being our brother’s keeper and that without delay.”
Omoleye Omoruyi… an apprentice web/game developer, novelist, sensitive to happenings in the world. Meet him @Lord_rickie on Twitter/Instagram