SAD: Generator fumes kill family of three in newly-built home in Niger State

by ‘Jola Sotubo

gen fumes

A day which should have been one of joy for a young family who moved into a new home has turned out to be one of great sorrow.

Seyi Adewale, a middle aged generator repairer and his wife, Felicia, 23 had looked forward to the day they would move into their own home and when they eventually did, they were snatched away by the cold hands of death, along with their three-month-old daughter, Deborah, the very same day.

The couple reportedly moved into their new apartment in Gbeganu area in Minna, Niger State on Saturday. However, instead of relatives and well wishers trooping to the new house to congratulate them , it was the burial ceremony of the family of three that relatives and other well wishers went for.

The middle aged man,  and their, were, Tuesday, found dead in their room with the corpses already decomposing. It was gathered that they died on Saturday night, the day they moved into the new house. According to reports, the trio, who retired to one of their rooms late in the night to enjoy their first night in the house switched on their electricity generating set close to the room while the fumes emitted by the set consumed them overnight. They never woke up to see the next day.

The neighbours were unaware that that the family had moved in so the corpses of the three-member family remained in the room unattended to and were gradually decomposing.

However, the younger sister of the deceased husband, Deborah, who had been making frantic effort to locate her brother got more worried, and on Tuesday, four days after they had moved into the new house, she forced open the door of the house and was shocked to meet them dead. She immediately raised alarm which attracted other neighbours to the scene.

She said: “We last spoke on phone on Saturday night, when he was moving his property and family to the new house.

“On Sunday, which was the second day, I also called but nobody picked. I still tried on Monday thinking it was due to the poor network service or run-down battery and yet no response and that was why I decided to come down to the house only to meet my brother and family dead and decomposing.
“It is very unfortunate for this to have happened to my brother, especially at a time when we are supposed to be rejoicing with them on their new house.”

Contacted, the state police command through its spokesman, Mr Richard Oguche, who confirmed the deaths, said they must have died as a result of inhaling the carbon monoxide from the generating set, which was turned on overnight and left close to their room.
The corpses have  been buried in Minna, the Niger State capital.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail