by Chi Ibe
Yesterday’s bomb blast in Sabon Gari, Kano is believed to have killed nothing less than 20 people.
The first explosion occurred around 9.12 p.m on Monday night near Ibo/Enugu Road by the International Hotel in Sabongari and then just a few minutes later another went off on New Road, opposite the Emir Ado Bayero Square at about 9.15 p.m.
The bomb explosions are suspected to have been detonated by terrorists despites on-going peace talks and some reports hold that about four bombs went off in the neighbourhood.
A resident of the area told the Punch news on the telephone that there were series of explosions which had created pandemonium in the state capital saying the explosions were still ongoing as of 10pm, and there had been at least two explosions before the latest one at about 9.30pm.
AFP reports that “at least four explosions” had occurred. “There is confusion all over the place. There were four huge explosions, so huge that they shook the whole area. Everywhere is enveloped in smoke and dust,” Chinyere Madu, a fruit vendor, told AFP.
Channels TV, in its 10pm news report, said about 20 people had been killed.
P.M News reporter who went round the two explosion sites, said he counted dozens of people sprawled on the floor, with many of them soaked in blood. But the number of fatalities could not be ascertained.