2019: INEC to begin voter registration in April

by Azeez Adeniyi

The Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Mahmud Yakubu has said Continuous Voter Registration will begin across the country in April.

Yakubu said this at the commission’s first quarterly consultative meeting with the media in Abuja on Monday.

He said the commission will clean up the voter register, including removing deceased Nigerians.

He said, “Election is essentially based on a number of parameters. After the 2015 general elections, we are compelled to see if we can clean up the voter register. For instance, we have to remove the names of the deceased from the register.

“But this is easier said than done because sometimes, you may know that the person is dead but the process of removing the name from the system is not that simple.

“This is simply because in some cases we receive report that candidates involve in an election had died only for them to turn up at the commission few days later to say it is a lie that they are dead.

“With 70 million registered voters at the moment, and by the time we do the Continuous Voter Registration, fixed for April, the number will definitely be higher.”

He said the commission had only been able to distribute over 700,000 PVCs since 2015, stating that INEC had not distributed a total of 7.8 million Permanent Voter Cards.

He said, “We need to have continuous voter registration, to register Nigerians who are of age and those who did not register in 2015.

“About 7.8 million PVCs are uncollected from the last general elections. We have done an audit of all uncollected PVCs and in one of our meetings with RECs and administrative secretaries, we gave them instructions to begin to distribute them.”

According to him, the members of staff of the commission will carry out the exercise in a way that the PVCs will get to the owners.

“But that would be handled by our own members of staff in a manner that they all get to their owners. So far, we have been able to distribute a little over 700,000, which is under one million registered voters. We need more education and voter enlightenment to accomplish this,” he added.

Yakubu added that commission has also started screening underaged candidates.

He stated, “Let me also say that until recently, when I came on board, I didn’t know that there are also underage candidates.

“You know that the constitution is clear that you have to be at least 30 years to contest election to a federal or state constituency. In one of the states, somebody, who was less than 30, contested and lo and behold, he won.”

“The runner-up rushed to the tribunal and lodged a case. A year later after the pronouncement by the tribunal, the person went to a regular court and made a case that he was not of age.”

Follow @ynaija on Twitter

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Loading...
Loading...