by Dolapo Adelana
The United States Embassy in Abuja has said there was no reason for Nigerians with valid visas to postpone or cancel their travel to the United States.
The Embassy said this in a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja wishes to clarify that there is no reason for Nigerians with valid visas to postpone or cancel their travel to the United States,” the statement read.
“Nigeria is not named in the Executive Order on Immigration issued on March 6, and there is no prohibition against Nigerian lawful permanent residents or persons with a valid visa or other U.S. government authorisation from entering the United States.”
Recall that the Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, on Monday advised Nigerians to reconsider their travelling plan to the U.S.
She urged Nigerians with no compelling or urgent reason to travel to the U.S. should postpone their travel plans until the new administration’s policy on immigration became clearer.
However, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, Foreign Affairs minister on Tuesday while fielding questions from reporters in Abuja, urged Nigerians to ignore Dabiri-Erewa’s advise.
Onyeama said no Nigerian with full valid entry visa had been denied entry to the U.S., adding that Nigerians are free to travel to U.S. as the country was not on the ban list.