The Late 5: Saraki admonishes Nigerians against taking democracy for granted, Former PDP Spokesman defects to APC and other stories

Saraki

These are the stories that drove the conversation today:

President Muhammadu Buhari, has on Tuesday, promised to sign the #NotTooYoungToRun bill in the next few days.

As contained in the President’s address to Nigerians in a nationwide broadcast, aired in commemoration of the 2018 Democracy day, he said he will be joined by many promising young Nigerians during the assent.

Buhari who spoke from the Aso Rock Villa added that his administration had done well in the areas of corruption, security and the economy, and urged Nigerians to support the administration’s fight against corruption.


Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has admonished citizens not to take for granted the continued democratic dispensation in the countryand cautioned against actions, statements and moves that could truncate political process in the country.

In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu, Mr Saraki in his message to Nigerians on the 2018 democracy day celebration, advised the people to be vigilant and speak against anti-democratic policies and actions, which are capable of subverting the rule of law.

The senate president also canvassed strict adherence to the principles of rule of law, separation of powers, sovereignty of parliament, independence of the judiciary, and freedom of the press, adding that he is convinced about democracy being the best system of government so far invented.


Prince Adedayo Adeyeye, a former Minister of State for Works and former governorship aspirant in the just concluded Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship primary,  formally defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Tuesday.

According to Adeyeye, he was compelled to make a choice between loyalty to a political party and to his community, and he readily chose the community because a political party will come and go.

He added that leaving the PDP was not an easy decision to make, especially a party to which he had rendered invaluable service at the most trying period of its history.


The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), on Tuesday, announced the release of the results of the mop up examination conducted for candidates, who were rescheduled for the UTME on Saturday, May 26.

Head of Media, JAMB,  Dr Fabian Benjamin, who made the announcement in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria, in Abuja, disclosed that the results included those whose biometrics could not be captured during the initial period of the UTME in March, those who were yet to see their results and have not been involved in any form of malpractice.

Others included those who were unable to print out their e-slip before the earlier examinations and those whose centres were cancelled for suspected malpractices, he added.


The Anambra State Government wants residents of the state to use Democracy Day to reflect on the state of the nation, rather than engaging in lavish celebrations.

The state’s Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr C-Don Adinuba, who gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Awka, said that Anambra had just hosted the second term inauguration of Gov. Willie Obiano on March 17, and had also hosted the Ohaneze Summit on May 21.

“We reasoned that it is not good enough for the state to get involved in another round of celebrations today. It is not worth it,’’ added Adinuba.

He however said, that the state had recorded achievements in security, social harmony and promptness in the payment of workers’ salaries.


And stories from around the world:

Rival factions in Libya have agreed to hold parliamentary and presidential elections on 10 December.

The four groups, meeting in the French capital, Paris, also agreed to adopt the necessary laws by mid-September.

French President, Emmanuel Macron described the accord as historic and an essential step towards reconciliation. (BBC)


A gunman on a police watchlist for contacts with Islamist extremists launched a brazen suspected terror attack in Belgium on Tuesday, shooting dead two female police officers with their own weapons before killing a bystander.

The bloodshed in the gritty eastern industrial city of Liege began around 10:30 am (0830 GMT) when the attacker armed with a knife repeatedly stabbed the two officers before using their own firearms to kill them, prosecutors said.

Federal prosecutors said they had launched a terror investigation into the incident. (AFP)


Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi will visit Khartoum in October to seal several bilateral deals, Sudan’s foreign minister said on Tuesday during a visit to Cairo, at a time of fraught relations between the neighbors.

Sudan banned the import of Egyptian farm produce last year over alleged use of pesticides and is in a longstanding dispute over territory in Egypt’s south that Khartoum says is Sudanese.

For its part, Egypt fears Sudan will support Ethiopia in its bid to quickly fill a reservoir behind the mega-hydroelectric dam it is constructing on the Nile. Cairo is concerned the dam could wreak havoc on its sensitive water supply but Sudan has supported it because of its need for electricity.

“(Sisi’s) visit will be to partake in the (bilateral) high joint committee and there are a lot of agreements that will be completed,” Al-Dirdiri Mohamed said. He did not give a date for the visit or details of agreements that may be signed. (Reuters)


British citizen Andargachew “Andy” Tsege, accused of plotting a coup and was held on death row in Ethiopia, has been freed.

He has been greeted by jubilant relatives and supporters at his family home in the capital, Addis Ababa.

Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson said he was “pleased” with the development and praised his department’s staff for their “tireless” work on the case.

Mr Andargachew was apprehended at an airport in Yemen while in transit and turned over to the Ethiopian authorities. (BBC)


The White House has taken aggressive new steps in its effort to reduce a $337bn trade deficit with China, announcing that it will impose a 25% tariff on $50bn of Chinese goods containing “industrially significant technology”.

“From now on, we expect trading relationships to be fair and to be reciprocal,” Donald Trump said in statement.

The White House said China had “pursued industrial policies and unfair trade practices including dumping, discriminatory non-tariff barriers, forced technology transfer, over capacity, and industrial subsidies that champion Chinese firms and make it impossible for many United States firms to compete on a level playing field.” (The Guardian UK)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

cool good eh love2 cute confused notgood numb disgusting fail