by ‘Jola Sotubo
Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde is a household name in Nigeria but she only recently became known to the rest of the world. The year 2013 saw Omotola becoming a figure of international repute after she was named one of Time’s 100 Most Influential People in the World.
This lofty recognition is the reason why the Telegraph UK felt the need to write about her in a piece titled “’Omosexy’: The biggest film star you’ve never heard of” Here’s a list of 7 things that Omotola now means to the world at large:
1. With more than 300 films to her name, she is bigger across the African diaspora than Halle Berry.
2. She pulls in a whopping 150 million viewers for her reality-television show, much more than Oprah’s and Tyra’s at their peak, combined.
3. She is the first African celebrity ever to amass more than one million Facebook “likes”.
4. She is the queen of Nollywood
5. She is enough of a star to cause a temporary shutdown of a London Tesco store
6. She has a big personality and a big laugh and she comes across like Oprah’s sister.
7. With a recent American debut, in a television drama, “Hit the Floor”, opposite the R&B star Akon, she’s the next best thing in Hollywood.