Too many people have been talking about domestic violence these days. As well they should.
The nation today is talking about the story of the Shonde family in Egbeda, Lagos state where the husband, Lekan Shonde is alleged to have battered his wife, Ronke to death in a domestic scuffle.
While the exact events that led to the Ronke’s death and Lekan’s venture into the realm of fugitives are not determined yet, here is a mop up of the different angles in the tragic story.
- Lekan and his late wife lived on Tiemo Close, Off Awori Street, in the Egbeda-Idimu area.
- The couple were married for 8 years with 2 children aged 6 and 4.
- According to neighbors, the Shonde’s household has been rife with constant fighting
- Lekan had accused his wife, Ronke of cheating on him
- According to Lekan, he eavesdropped on his wife reliving an adulterous escapade with a manager of a publishing firm.
- Still according to Lekan, the deceased had admitted to having extra-marital affairs but refused to vacate the house despite the instruction of Lekan to do so
- Lekan then found out after paying the children’s nanny 20,000 for the month that his wife had taken the 30,000 meant for the children’s teacher.
- Lekan said when he asked Ronke about it, she said she had spent- which incensed him.
- The couple had not slept with each other in 3 months.
- Lekan admitted to pushing his wife but she did not fall or tumble, according to him.
- He saw her body lying on the floor on Friday, May 6 morning but he walked past her.
- Neighbors discovered the dead body of Ronke with her 2 kids after tearing down their locked door
- The police registered the case as a homicide with Lekan as major suspect
- He is a Lagos boy and he can keep on running for 30 years without getting caught
- Ronke had recently lost a brother to an accident in Abuja
- Lekan while in hiding called Bolatito (Ronke’s only surviving sibling) asking to see his children.
- While talking to Ronke’s family, Lekan had threatened to commit suicide even though Ronke’s mother declared she had forgiven him
- Lekan spoke to pressmen who called him and gave his account of the tragic events
- Family sources confirmed that Lekan beats his wife and constantly accuses her of having extra-marital affairs
- The police nabbed Lekan – who turned himself in to the Rapid Response Squad.
We have not heard the last of this.