by Wareez Odunayo
The news of Brazilian forward’s, Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior, commonly called Neymar world record transfer has been everywhere. Two weeks ago, the footballing world’s attention was on another possibe transfer record involving French teenage forward, Kylian Mbappe, who plys his trade for French League Champions, Monaco most. But local rivals, Paris Saint-Germain had other plans, they are ready to break the bank for Neymar’s signature.
He is expected to join Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona on a five-year deal for £198m, making it the most expensive transfer ever in world football.
Earlier today, La Liga rejected Neymar’s request to buy out his £198m release clause in his contract.
The fast, tricky, clever and skilful player was born on 5 February 1992 at Mogi das Cruzes, in Brazil.
Many football clubs have bidded for the Brazilian forward in recent times but were unsuccessful before he finally agreed to join the French football side.
According to reports, Neymar has agreed a five-year contract with Paris Saint-Germain and he is expected to arrive in the French capital by Friday at the latest to complete his transfer.
The 25-year-old footballer opted to leave Barcelona following talks he held while on holiday near Rio de Janeiro early July, before he joined the club’s pre-season tour of the United States.
The deal is worth nearly £450m (€500m), which includes wages, bonuses and a buyout clause of £198m (€222m). Neymar has been offered a basic salary of £26.8m-a-year (€30m) after tax, around £515,000-a-week.
Neymar is expected to join five Brazilian international teammates at PSG, including Dani Alves who recently joined PSG from Italian Champions, Juventus and Thiago Silva.
Meanwhile, the five times Ballon d’Or winner, Lionel Messi on his Instagram page, has penned down farewell message to his departing teammate, Neymar.
Messi wrote,“It was a great pleasure to have shared all these years with you, friend Neymar,”, “I wish you good luck in this new stage of your life. See you.”
Messi ended his message with “Tkm,” an abbreviation of the Spanish phrase “te quiero mucho,” which means “I love you very much.”
In order to confirm his transfer, Neymar also replied Messi, saying, “Thank you brother. I will miss you!”.
Neymar Jr. Joined Barcelona on the 3rd of June 2013 after an agreement was reached between the Club and FC Santos. The then 21-year-old was Barça’s first signing of the 2013/14 season.
Here are few things you need to know about Neymar and his transfer to PSG:
- Neymar’s transfer meeting talk took place in Brazil early last month involving Neymar, his father and super-agent Pini Zahavi, who brokered the deal.
- According to reports, his deal his not about the money (we say a big LOL), but that he wants to become the leader at the club, wants to be independent, and wants to win the Ballon d’Or, which he believes he can achieve with PSG.
- La Liga President, Javier Tebas threatened to block the transfer (which they have done), but PSG officials remain “very confident” that there will be no issues with the buyout clause.
- Neymar began his football career at Santos in 2003 when he was only 11 years old and he quickly began to stand out in the club’s lower teams before making his debut with the first team in 2009.
- In 2009, Neymar was named the Player of the Tournament and was also the leading scorer in the Brazilian Cup with 11 goals.
- Neymar is extremely skillful when in possession of the ball and a terror to opposition players in one on one situations. He’s also quick on his feet and a good channel for counter attacks.
- He is a lethal weapon against any defence.
- Neymar is works hard for his team by pressing opponents and helping out with defensive duties and is great with shooting from distance and also with set-pieces.