by Nigel Boys
Most of the new members of these churches have been brought into the congregation by family members, friends or co-workers.
Korea and Nigeria currently lead the world in respect to having the largest global megachurches and most of those churches are Pentecostal, according to Warren Bird, research director at Leadership Network.
The former pastor, seminary professor and author of over 26 books, including “Better Together: Making Church Mergers Work,” goes on to say that he has learned some valuable information about those who attend these huge worship services. He adds that he has surveyed more than 25,000 members along with his companion, Scott Thumma, in their research titled “9 Fascinating Facts About People Who Attend Megachurches.”
Here are the results of their survey:
1. Only around 33 percent of those who attend these huge churches have been going there for more than 5 years.
2. Almost 25 percent of those attending these megachurches come from a background of being absent from any church for quite a considerable period of time.
3. Most of the new members of these churches have been brought into the congregation by family members, friends or co-workers.
4. In contrast to smaller churches, almost 55 percent of those who regularly attend a megachurch, volunteer to participate in church activities.
5. The first thing that attracts new members to a megachurch, according to the survey, is their style of worship. This is closely followed by the charisma of the lead pastor and the church’s reputation within the community.
6. Those who have attended the same megachurch for more than 5 years said that the reason they continued to come was the same reason they were attracted in the first place, namely, worship style, senior pastor and reputation, according to the survey.
7. Far from being disappointed in their church or congregation, members of these megachurches believe that their needs are being met and they are continually growing in their faith in Christ.
8. One of the reasons that megachurches seem to hold their members appears to be that they offer quite a large choice for their members to choose from with regards to how they worship or grow spiritually.
9. The survey also found that megachurches are reaching out to their members and getting them involved in the ministry of Christ in many ways.
However, are these megachurches actually teaching the Word of God as stated in Scripture? Or are they formatting their doctrines to please the wishes of the people?
This article was first published in AllChristianNews
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.
Leave a reply