by Sasha Gusain
A healthy weight loss programme is incomplete without a good exercise routine, and weight training mixed with cardio is the best way to lose weight.
1. Decide how much weight you need to lose – Most people start their weight loss journey by claiming to be xyz kilos overweight. This isn’t a healthy way to project or aim for weight loss. Calculate your desired weight against your height by using reliable methods like the BMI, and set a healthy weight loss target. This is often half the battle won.
2. Time management – This is quite often overlooked. Decide which part of your day will be dedicated to exercise, when in the week you will stock up on groceries, and when you will do the cooking – all within your current work and home life routine. If you don’t do this now, your days will be rushed and unplanned, and you won’t be able to sustain your weight loss efforts.
3. Stock your kitchen – Keep your house well-stocked with fruits, vegetables, healthy meats, grains, cereals, spices, and flavourers. Follow our tricks to healthy cooking, cooking vegetables for the week, and low-fat cooking posts to understand how best you can stock your kitchen with healthy and delicious ingredients. All of this will go into helping the next step – cooking healthy meals at home.
4. Eat healthy homecooked meals – Whether it’s you who’s cooking, a family member, or house help, ensure that every one practises healthy cooking methods, and ingredients. Ask any person who’s lost weight the healthy way, and you will always hear about how healthy homecooked meals were a big reason behind it. Use less oil, low salt, fresh produce, and you’ll start seeing results in no time.
5. Start a cardio + weights workout – A healthy weight loss programme is incomplete without a good exercise routine, and weight training mixed with cardio is the best way to lose weight. Of course, variations and forms exist, but any workout that stresses on muscle tone and increased heart rate will always help you lose weight and keep it off. You can either start a home workout today, or rely on gyms for fitness training.
6. Alter your snacking habits – At Health Me Up, we have several healthy snacking ideas for you. Set those French fries aside, skip that aerated drink, and ban those unhealthy deep fried samosas. Explore the healthy snack world and you will find several appetisers, party snacks, movie snacks and meal accompaniments that’ll satisfy every craving of yours.
7. Have at least one active hobby – It isn’t sufficient to rely on just 30 to 60 minutes of physical activity per day. Moving from bed to office chair, and back to bed, isn’t a healthy way to live. Buy a motion sensor gaming console that lets you enjoy social games with friends and family, plan weekend trips, clean your house once a week, dance, play sports, the list is endless. Get out of the coffee shop and dining table rut, and you’ll have fun along with the healthy weight loss.
8. Find a solution to combat stress – As we pointed out in our post about stress and weight loss, stress is always detrimental to healthy weight loss in the long run. Find ways to combat stress and you’ll soon realise that your diet and exercise aren’t sabotaged anymore, and that you truly do see results. Look at yoga, meditation, deep breathing exercises, or simple hobbies like reading to fight stress.
9. Drink plenty of water – You’ve known that your body relies heavily on water for all important bodily functions, and yet you skimp on drinking adequate quantities of water every day. Well, it’s time to stop that. Check out some exciting ways to make water interesting and you’ll be packing it away in no time. Do not forget to carry a water bottle to your workout, and take a few sips after every 2-3 minutes of exercise.
10. Plan healthy vacations – Why go all the way with healthy weight loss, when one tiny vacation will just come along and topple it all? Healthy vacations aren’t impossible. Take a look at how you can eat smart on a holiday, and then at bodyweight workouts that you can carry with you wherever you go, to understand how to holiday right. Above all, remember that these are lifelong habits that’ll help you stay fit forever and not short term weight loss quickfixes.
Read this article in Times of India
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.